Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Girl's Weekend Recipes

Ok, for everyone who wanted to know the recipe for the yummy Southwest Chicken and Cornbread Salad, I am finally getting it posted. As a bonus for you having to wait so long, I am posting all the recipes we tried that weekend. Bette made a wonderful Chicken Pot Pie on Saturday night, but she didn't leave the recipe. Guess you will all just have to Facebook her and tell her to give it up!! I will let you know how I liked them and the others can add their comments as well. If I left any out maybe someone else will remember it. Hope you all enjoy, I know we sure did!!


Southwestern Chicken and Cornbread Salad
 
Ingredients

           6 cornbread muffins, very dry, coarsely crumbled, divided

           1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives drained

           1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

           1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel sweet corn, drained

           1 cup Hidden Valley® Spicy Ranch Dressing, divided

           1 cup bell pepper, diced, assorted colors

           2 chicken breasts, grilled*

           1/2 cup red onion, diced

           1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced

           1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded

 
Directions

 1.         In large clear salad bowl or trifle dish, layer half of the cornbread followed by olives, pinto beans and corn. Top with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Layer with bell pepper, chicken, onion, tomatoes, remaining cornbread and remaining dressing. Sprinkle with cheese.

2.         Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

 



Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch Dip
feeds a crowd
 

8 ounces mayonaise
24 ounces sour cream
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup tomatillo salsa
1 handful of cilantro
3 ranch dressing packets
1/2 cup pickled jalapenos 

Combine all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.


 



Guacamole Salsa
 
1 lb. tomatillos (or more if you want it thinner)
1 jalapeno pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
1/3 bunch cilantro
1 thick slice of onion
1 garlic clove
1 avocado
1 tsp. salt


 
Peel and wash the tomatillos - they are usually found over by the cilantro & peppers, and have a husk on them. Cut them into quarters and put in the blender. Follow with the jalapeno, cilantro, onion, garlic, avocado & salt. Be sure to put the tomatillos in the bottom of the blender and not the avocado so it doesn't stick to the blade. You might have to help it start by shaking or using a mixer at first. But, once it gets going the juice from the tomatillos will help move the other ingredients around.
 
 

Strawberry Sauce

From - http://www.ourbestbites.com


1 pint strawberries

1/3 c. white sugar

1 tsp. almond extract or vanilla extract

Wash strawberries and remove stems. Place in a sauce pan on medium heat. When mixture begins to boil, stir occasionally. Boil 5 minutes. Place in blender and blend until smooth. Use on ice cream, pancakes, or in Strawberry Limeades.
Pickle Dip
Ingredients:


  • 2-8oz packages cream cheese
  • 16 oz sour cream
  • 32 oz jar Gedney Jalapeno Babies, finely chopped (*note: Wal-Mart does not carry these)
  • ¼ to ½ c pickle juice
  • Garlic salt to taste
Directions:
  • Cream sour cream and cream cheese together.
  • Add pickles that have been finely chopped to creamed mixture.
  • Mix in 1/4 to 1/2 c of the pickle juice from the Gedney Jalapeno Babies (amount depends on how “soupy” you want your dip).
  • Add garlic salt to taste


 

2 comments:

  1. I am posting my comments here so if anyone wants to copy the recipes my comments will not be in the middle.
    Southwest Chicken and Cornbread Salad - This was really good. It went together pretty quickly. I used the pre-cooked grilled chicken breast that you can get at the store. I loved that you made it ahead of time and let it sit. This would be a great recipe for a get together when you don't want to be in the kitchen.

    Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch Dip - OMG! I had never had this before but Dawn and Julie had. It was wonderful!! It does make a huge amount. My blender was full to the very top. Never fear, I had some canning jars and I poured it in them and sent it home with everyone. (Mom would be proud!!)

    Guacamole Salsa - When I saw this recipe I thought yum! What's not to like - there is Guacamole and there's salsa. Two of my favorite things! Not so much. The recipe does not say to cook the tomatillos so I didn't. We all felt it tasted "green". If I did it again, I would boil the tomatillos.

    Strawberry Sauce - This is one of my favorites! I love to keep it on hand in the summer. We use it to make Strawberry Limeaides! Just add it to a glass of 7-Up and fresh squeezed limes. Mason even uses it in his milk.

    Pickle Dip - Again, Pickles, what's not to love. I used the Best Maid brand of baby jerkens (sp) I thought it was ok, but not wonderful. I was sad.

    Well that was my take on the food. We also did LOTS of shopping. Best of all - we got to spend time together. Hopefully they will tell you their take on the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shana. The dip and the salsa I would skip. The other I would make again. Also the fresh tomatos and okra from Aunt Tom was to die for! Thanks ladies - can't wait for the next roundd:)

    ReplyDelete