Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Crazy Weather and Great Food

Have you noticed that the majority of our post are about food? It is a BIG part of our lives. We plan holidays around it, travel according to where the best places to stop and eat are, have ask for and given it as gifts, .... Some may say we have issues, we like to believe it is a common bond we all share.

So, last week here in the Texas Panhandle, it was cold. Ok, cold for us, as in the 40's and 50's. Now I know it is late October, but we still think that it should be in the 70's. Mason had a football game on Thursday and that was suppose to be the coldest day of the week. His games don't start until 6:30ish. We have been known to have a game last as late as 9:15. For us old people, that is past our bedtime! Since that night I have started making supper before we go to the game. It makes it a little early, but I can handle that better than eating at 10:00 at night! With it being cold, I decided to make something in the crockpot. After I checked out what I had in the freezer, I decided on Posole! Yum! Now if for some reason you do not know what Posole is, I feel sorry for you. It is a Mexican soup that is wonderful. In my family, everyone but Cotton really likes it. I made a big pot of it and we were able to eat on it all weekend. (even better) I decided that I would post the recipe that I use so that you could give it a try. Now of course it is 80 degrees today, so you might want to save the recipe for a cold day. Then again, it is so good you could still make it tonight!


Posole

 

1 lb pork cut into small cubes

1 onion chopped

1 teaspoon garlic powder or 5 cloves garlic peeled, diced

¼ teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon group cumin

½ teaspoon oregano

¼ teaspoon cloves

4 green chilies, chopped

2 tablespoons oil

2 cups dried hominy or 3 cups fresh

½ teaspoon salt

 

Heat oil in skillet.

Saute meat, onion and garlic until meat is brown.

Cover meat with least 2 inches of water.

Stir in salt, cumin, oregano, cloves, pepper & chilies.

Add hominy.

Simmer for one hour.

Serve with chopped fresh onion, sliced lime and corn tortillas.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment