Friday, November 9, 2012

More "Last"

Well it has been another busy week around here. It has also been another week full of last. I know I keep saying this, but when I thought about this year during the summer, I knew that I would be facing so many "last" with Cotton and it being his Senior Year. I never thought about it also being so many "last" for Aspen and Mason.

Aspen played her first basketball game of the season this week. She doesn't really like basketball. Volleyball is her sport and she is so good at it. Her team is so good. They are one of those teams that you watch in Jr. High and can't help thinking, "Wow, they are going to be awesome when they get to High School." They played their last volleyball game two weeks ago. It was wonderful because they won and that made them have an undefeated record for the year. Each of the girls gave their coach a rose before the game. Their coach is Amy Hand (Murphree). She is great with the girls and especially Aspen. It was a bitter sweet night. They did wonderful, but next year will bring many changes. It was the "last" game of volleyball with Coach Hand, the "last" game of her 8th Grade year and her "last" game in Jr. High.

 


Now Aspen was quite happy about it being her "last" first basketball game. :} She was not going to play this year. She decided that she would rather go to off season than play. Now to really appreciate that you have to understand that off season in Jr. High is running bleacher laps. (That is scary because she is as coordinated as her mother and I could see bad things happening.)  Well Coach Hand told her, "No!". She made Aspen play basketball. She is not bad, she just doesn't enjoy it like volleyball. So this "last" wasn't as bad as the rest.

Mason had his "last" football game on Thursday. He has said all year that he did not want to play next year. I am fine with that. The only thing I know about football is that Mason is number 80. (Go Mom!) This year has had ups and downs. (Ok, more downs, but there were a few good moments.) They lost every game. So in Jr. High, they only won 1 game and tied 1, and that was last year. I am very proud of Mason though. He played offence mostly, but had to fill in many times when other players were out hurt. He even played defence on the line one game. That was not his mom's favorite. I like it better when he plays out on the end so I can see him and he is less likely to get hurt. For the "last" game he even got to be a co-captain. I was really proud of him.



So, with it being the "last" football game, of course there had to be a "last" pep-rally. Again, that was ok with me. I HATE Jr. High pep-rallies. Ok, I hate all pep-rallies, but our Jr. High one's are the worst. I have taken the time this year to take lots of pictures at the pep-rallies. I have some with Aspen in the stands, but I have so many of Mason and the team. They are great kids, with a lot of heart.



Now, Mason has to get ready for basketball. The Coach says that he is only going to have 10 on the team. I do think that Mason is ok with being on the "B" or "combo" team. I am ok with that also. We will have his first game on Thursday. That is only one week of practice. He is planning on playing basketball next year if he can so it won't be a "last" for the sport. It will only be a "last" for Jr. High.

Cotton had a few "last" this week also. As you all know he is big in FCCLA. Each year they are big in the Veteran's Day program. This year his job was to go around and take pictures during the program. He was dressed in one of his suits and looked very handsome. I didn't realize it was a big deal for him, but he came home and told me, "Well, that was my "last" Veteran's Day program." I hadn't planned on that one.



The High School also had their "last" pep-rally. Again - I hate pep-rallies, but I went to take pictures. It is so different than when we were in High School. He just hung out and had a good time. Cotton always does.  

1 comment:

  1. I guess I am being too emotional this week. The last are getting to me, but more than that I am missing Mom. I have kept thinking how much she would have LOVED watching Aspen play. She is the only one of us with any "talent". I can just see her sitting there in a chair by the door yelling loud for her!
    I also think how proud she would have been of Mason. He has volunteered and brought home the guys football jerseys that have gotten ripped during the game. He has sewn them up and taken them back. She would have loved that.
    And then I think about what a kick she would be getting out of Cotton wanting to go to UNLV. I know that would have made her laugh and as only Mom could do, be worried that he would be too far from home.
    I know she is watching over them and smiling. I just wish she could have done it beside me.
    Miss you Momasita Rosarita!!

    ReplyDelete